Friday, February 4, 2011

This week was full of unpacking, organizing, learning, trying new foods, and entering into a different culture. There is an incredible team of missionaries here that will be mentoring and training us as we begin to adjust. On Wednesday we got to move into our apartment, experience our first Malian grocery store, and each of us got to pick material for a new bag to be made. When I chose my material, the man said that it was from the Puel Nomadic Tribe, which was actually the tribe that he was from. After telling me this, he proceeded to call me his sister. I cannot begin to express how much joy this has brought me. It was my first time feeling like I was strangely making my way into the culture, and more importantly into the hearts of people.  It's rather difficult to not be able to speak French or Bambara, but I have been practicing the few words and greetings that I know. Our official Bambara classes will begin next week, as well as our official weekly schedule. Amongst all of my emotions and missing home, the Lord is faithful. I have questioned myself a hundred times and over again this week about why I allowed myself to do this. I honestly feel foolish. But, that doesn't earase the fact that this is what God has called me to do. And because this is what He has called me to do, He will help me to love it here. The lesson taught by Mr. Faouzi, a former Muslim who is now a missionary to the muslims, was about Credibility. Although, not credibility as in what we are authorized to do. He stated that character was your greatest credibilty. That is my goal for the next year, and I'm sure that the Lord has alot planned to help me out with that. I will rejoice.

3 comments:

  1. Your Honesty is so refreshing. Thank you for being my daughter. I love you. Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thinking about you and praying for you. We are proud of you as an example to your generation.

    Tracy and Kim Clark

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a precious child of the King! Remember you are "hemmed in" and the Lord is in front of you and behind you. Psalm 139 The Lord searched for you and knows you and perceives your thoughts and is familiar with all your ways. Wherever you go- HE is there! Cool huh? It's 2:45am here and I have been praying for you. You are covered in prayer. SMILE!! This is going to be a blessed week for you! You have favor.

    ReplyDelete