Tuesday, May 31, 2011

As I sat fanning hot coals, it was incredible to me the distinct difference between an African and an American kitchen. The only thing that could be closely related is the sink. Aside from that, the typical kitchen for a Malian is a small room with a sink.. And a floor. They burn charcoal to cook over and they prepare their food without even a counter to rest on. It took us nearly two and a half hours to prepare what they consider to be spaghetti. And although I surely enjoyed helping out, I cannot say that this is the style to which I would choose to prepare each and every meal. Mami, The Christian lady that so graciously opened up her home to us, is an incredible woman. She is a young newlywed, and I was so interested to learn about the culture of weddings here.  Mami has a girl that works for her by helping around the house and we were able to hear of how she is teaching her in every way that she can about the Lord. It’s so inspiring to watch how people here relate and share Jesus with one another.  I absolutely cannot wait to go back and spend more time learning.. So much fun, and good food. What more could I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment